Best Way to Write a Will
What is the best way to write a will? How long is a piece of string? Different methods will suit different
people and others will have little or no choice
One this is for certain you do NOT need the services OR the expense of using a solicitor unless your will is
very complicated. They will, of course, tell you differently.
If you have a computer and at least a basic knowledge of how to use it then you can make a will Online. This is
the easiest and cheapest way to make a will as it can usually be done in minutes especially if it can be printed
For more information about the pro's and cons see our Online Wills page
If you do not have access to a computer (how are you reading this website??) OR you do not feel comfortable with
an online process then there are still high quality, low cost options available to you.
Will Drafters Ltd have written over 100,000 wills and are recommended by Which? Magazine. They are more
expensive than their online counterparts but perfect for people who have no internet access or find it difficult to
leave their home.
Home Will Writers
There are many will writing services who will come to your home to take your instructions and prepare your will.
In general they are cheaper than solicitors but more expensive than the online services.
Solicitors are usually expensive and in most cases unecessary. There are however some curcumstances where you
SHOULD use either the services, or the advice of a solicitor. These are as follows:-
- You share a property with someone who is not your husband, wife or civil partner.
- You wish to make provision for a dependent who is unable to care for themselves.
- There are several family members who may make a claim on the wil i.e. a 2nd wife.
- Your permanent home is not in the UK.
- You are not a British citizen.
- You are resident in the UK but have property abroad.
- There is a business involved.
You can write a Will Online in Minutes here